9.10.10

Chin Stroking Between Updike and Wallace

I've had a tab open for weeks now with this article by Barrett Hathcock on the Quarterly Conversation on Nicholson Baker as the "missing link" between John Updike and David Foster Wallace. I finally read it this morning, and whilst problematic in a number of ways (I think it simplifies DFW, and pays too much heed to the privileged position of the artist/writer/observer, amongst other things), it is certainly thought-provoking and wide-ranging and context-providing. A good chin-stroker of an article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

My photo
I am writing a PhD at the University of Glasgow entitled "The Poetics of Time in Contemporary Literature". My writing has been published in Type Review, Dancehall, Puffin Review and TheState. I review books for Gutter and The List. I am also an editor and reviewer at the Glasgow Review of Books.

Blog Archive